Winmail.dat

Winmail.dat

Postby alanj » Fri May 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Hi All

Anyone out there having problems with <BadExt> winmail.dat files.

I have these blocked at the server as an iffy extension just like exe, com, reg and a few others.

I know these are coming from an Exchange Server <apologies for cursing!> and I know this is caused by the senders sending mail from outlook in RTF format; I have sent the server admin a Microsoft article which shows how the server should be setup for external or internet mail and I have also created an idiots guide for end user’s to setup outlook not to send RTF emails to internet email addressees.

However, other then remove the .dat extension and allowing these past the server is there another way I can deal with these?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Alan.
alanj

Re: Winmail.dat

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:56 am

As you pointed out these files are purely for an outlook -> exchange benefit only and another example of Microsoft trying to force their way upon us all lol. If you aren't doing this already, the best thing you can do is to use the content filtering preset rule for attachment blocking as a starting template rule but rather than blocking all files that end with .dat, just block files using the STRING CONTAINS "winmail.dat" (not case sensitive) as the string match. This will remove just the winmail.dat but still allow the email through.
Code Crafters

Return to General