HELO\EHLO check with multiple domain names

HELO\EHLO check with multiple domain names

Postby david » Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:34 am

Hi there,

When connecting to AMS and sending a HELO (or EHLO for that matter) command I get as a reply a specific domain name (I think it is the one set as primary domain name in General screen).

If a mail is sent from user@domain.com from my AMS then the receiving mail's anti-spam filter may connect my mail server and by using HELO will verify that my server is really working with domain.com.

The thing is that I set up a few domain names on my AMS and I would expect that AMS would reply to HELO commands with the relevant domain name (that is set on AMS just like my primary one). As far as I understand this means that any domain name except the main one has higher chances of being tagged as spam.

Am I missing something here?

While we are in multiple domain names on AMS - I have a more general question you may know the answer to: I created a Reverse DNS record for my main domain name, but again I am stuck with all the other domains... Is there a solution for that?

Thanks a lot!
david

Re: HELO\EHLO check with multiple domain names

Postby rob » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:42 am

Generally in this situation it is best to use a domain which converts to the IP address of the mail server. However, at present there is a current way in which to setup the mail server so a different domain is given at the appropiate time. A feature we have considered is allow you to bind a domain to a specific IP address, and so that will be used in the SMTP HELO/EHLO, but this of course would require multiple IP addresses on the server (with a single IP address hosting multiple domains, there really isn't much you could do unfortunatly) . If you are concerned that the primary domain may start to experience SPAM issues, you could always create a free domain on no-ip, or even simply create a sub domain for your IP address and use that domain instead (eg. mail.domain.com or maildomain.no-ip.com). When you then setup your reverse IP lookup, you could then have this match these new domains.
rob

Return to General