Webmail/AMS per-connection throughput

Webmail/AMS per-connection throughput

Postby Pugglewuggle » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:57 pm

Hi,

I've been using AMS to store large files lately (50-150MB) using the file store feature in the webmail interface, as well as emailing them. As I've said before, everything on out network is running at MINIMUM 1GbE speeds. It seems that no matter what, AMS will do no faster than just about 117-118KBs transfer speeds, both downloading and uploading - per connection. If you have multiple file downloads going at the same time, it will acheive this speed on ALL of the seperate downloads.

Is this something that's built into AMS that is used to prevent high-traffic users from eating all the bandwidth and causign a DoS, or is there a setting that can be changed to increase/remove the apparent limitation. It does seem kind of silly to wait 6 minutes to download a 45MB file when I'm two hops away from the server and on a gigabit network. Firewall throughput on the DMZ is currently humming somewhere around 150MB/s, so the firewall definitely isn't slowing it down.

Any help is appreciated!
Pugglewuggle

Re: Webmail/AMS per-connection throughput

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:29 am

Transfer speeds can vary but there is a flaw in our code that we know about that unintentionally limits the mail transfer speed. Speeds should not be limited for Internet connections speeds which the mail server is intended mainly for but LAN speeds reach limits of around 250Kbps at the moment. We have already written a new system for communication to be used in the new Ability Mail Server 3 due out hopefully later this year which solves this problem but unfortunately the change is too massive to be easily put into version 2 so you'll have to manage until version 3 can be released I'm afriad. Our appologies for any problems this may cause but hopefully you don't need to transfer very large files accross your LAN too often.
Code Crafters

Re: Webmail/AMS per-connection throughput

Postby Pugglewuggle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:47 pm

Well, I guess we can live for a while - until AMS 3 comes out, of course.

It has been causing a problem for some time, as medium to large to HUGE attachments (and large emails, for that matter) in Outlook and other clients take forever to open. I previously thought it was a bug in Outlook, but that didn't explain it for the other clients too.

I had noticed File Store going slow before, but it didn't ring a bell until I realized the upload/download speed on File Store was exactly the same as the speed in Outlook and all the others --- that's when I realized it was AMS.

;)
Pugglewuggle

Return to General