Outgoing email DNS problem

Outgoing email DNS problem

Postby ajook » Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:23 am

This morning I had a problem with the outgoing email queue building up

it appears sometime tuesday/wednesday the dns record (cname) for out outgoing email outmail.domain.com was deleted. We relay almost everything from AMS to this cname as the majority of our customers wont accept emails from our IP address (Grrr)

of course wednesday night the dns record went stale and the outmail log started recording "Host IP lookup failed", and it wasn't till last night after we'd all gone home that the message delayed emails started occurring

So, my question is: can you set up a backup route in AMS so if the primary route is unavailable then it swaps over to the backup? This could apply to independant mode too - if the destination mail server wont accept a connection from AMS then (perhaps after a delay) route the mail via a relay

I guess you could end up with a mail trying: independant mode, then relay (main) then the backup route ... hmm - this might be better in the suggestions board - oh well!
ajook

Re: Outgoing email DNS problem

Postby rob » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:39 am

Presently this isn't possible but is something already considered for a future update. Basically we have plans in mind to allow multiple routes and timings to be used the longer a mail is in the outgoing mail queue. This firstly would ensure that mails that fail to deliver can get reduced retry attempts, but this would also allow backup routes to be added too. However, presently we have no estimated date for this update.
rob

Return to General