Bad mail found - SPAM Filters Config

Bad mail found - SPAM Filters Config

Postby starprint » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:53 am

I have recently installed AMS on my server. I can successfully send receive mails from yahoo, gmail, homtail, and other mail providers from my country
The problem i have i thnik it`s related to SPAM Filters
When i receive a mail ia have this problems:
1. In webmail after i open and read the mail it gets moved to Deleted Directory instead of staying in the Inbox
2. In Outlook Express after i receive the mail if i push the Send Receive Button again i get from 2->6 Bad Mail Found errors for every email received
3. If i send an email from a different provider to the mail on my server i receive it with delay from around 5->15 min. This happens after i have activated the SPAM Filters( Grey Filter has the Temporary fail time set to 3 mins) because before everything was ok but when the spam filters were off i had my mailbox full of SPAMs.
Can anyone give me a suggestion on how to configure the AMS?
:!:
starprint

Re: Bad mail found - SPAM Filters Config

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:13 am

We recommend you set up your SPAM filtering as follows:

Basic Filtering:
1) Make sure you’re running version 2.62.
2) Run the SPAM wizard from the dialog admin interface for medium level protection.
3) Disable Sender Domain Check (this will become new default setting in update 2.63).
4) Change grey listing first setting from 60 mins to 1 min (this will become new default setting in update 2.63).
5) Set up any black / white listing that you need. The relaying exemption option will allow any authenticated users to bypass SPAM filtering.

Advanced Filtering:
6) If you want to also do Bayesian filtering, this take a bit of setting up but is by far the most effective SPAM filter available today.
a) Set up Bayesian filtering to use only the Auto-Learn from Users training method. Add participating users and appropriate SPAM / non-SPAM folders to the Bayesian settings.
b) Get Participating users to sort their mail into SPAM / non-SPAM folders where Bayesian will automatically learn from them periodically.
c) You need to disable rejecting (deleting) the email on all SPAM filters so that the SPAM flag is set and the mail is allowed to pass through.
d) Set up Content Filtering with the Preset Content Filter Rule (Add Preset button) “SPAM Identifier”. This rule will mark SPAM detected mails with <SPAM> in the subject so that they can be more easily identified and moved to the SPAM folder. Bayesian is a learning system so once it is well trained (minimum of 1000 SPAM and 1000 non-SPAM mails) you can set this content filter rule to also place mails in the SPAM account directory but don’t do this until you are happy it is training accurately and you must then check your SPAM folder for false positives (mails wrongly marked as SPAM that aren’t really SPAM) and move them appropriately.
Code Crafters

Postby starprint » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:54 am

Thank you for your reply. I am currently training the Bayesian Filter and i have did what you indicated me to do.
I have two more problems and i hope that`s all.
Everytime i read my mail in webmail interface after i read it it automatically gets moved into Deleted folder and it doesn`t stays in the Inbox folder. Also when i read mail with Outlook Express it downloads the mail and if i press once more the Send\Receive Button it downloads the mails again. What am i missing? I have still received some Bad Mail Found messages from Mail System.
I`m waiting for your reply. Thank you!
starprint

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:12 am

Reading the mail in WebMail shouldn't cause the mail to go to the deleted folder. Have you modified the WebMail templates at all? I'd recommend you reinstall the software from http://download.code-crafters.com/ams.exe to replace the WebMail template in case any changes to it are causing this behaviour.

Outlook express and outlook are sensitive to doing multiple things at the same time. If you are using POP3 be even more careful as mails are downloaded locally then deleted from the mail server. If you are downloading a mail by opening it, I wouldn't recommend downloading again explicitly via the send/receive button at the same time as outlook express may open 2 sessions and confuse itself with trying to access the same account twice at once.
Code Crafters

Return to General