Upgrading from 2.19?

Upgrading from 2.19?

Postby jbubel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:14 pm

I'm still on the version I loaded and have been reluctant to upgrade. I have read that upgrading to the current level is a little different, am I correct? It has something to do with an uninstall???

Luck lately hasn't been on my side for new installs and uninstalls. I would appreciate if someone knows of any quirks that I need to watch for or if it is straight forward. My goal is not to hose our email server, since we use it heavily and don't have another backup email server if this one was to bite the dust.

Let me know on the instructions, it would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

JD
jbubel

Re: Upgrading from 2.19?

Postby Code Crafters » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:23 am

You can upgrade directly to verion 2.63 via http://download.code-crafters.com/ams.exe or via the main dialog admin interface help button then Update. There is no problem with upgrading but there are some new systems so you will need to check all your settings but mainly just the following:

A) 2.50 - WebMail system totally upgraded. After installing I'd recommend you totally delete (or rename) your WebMail.ini file before starting the application to reset the settings to the new defaults that use the new enhanced WebMail templates. You can always stick to the old one if you want but the new one is far better with many new features.

B) 2.60 - SPAM filter systems upgraded to a new 10 SPAM filter system. For this follow the instructions below for our recommended setup guide:

Basic Filtering:
1) Make sure you’re running version 2.63.
2) Run the SPAM wizard from the dialog admin interface for medium level protection.
3) Set up any black / white listing that you need. The relaying exemption option will allow any authenticated users to bypass SPAM filtering.

Advanced Filtering (optional):
4) If you want to also do Bayesian filtering, this take a bit of setting up but is by far the most effective SPAM filter available today.
a) Set up Bayesian filtering to use only the Auto-Learn from Users training method. Add participating users and appropriate SPAM / non-SPAM folders to the Bayesian settings.
b) Get Participating users to sort their mail into SPAM / non-SPAM folders where Bayesian will automatically learn from them periodically.
c) You need to disable rejecting (deleting) the email on all SPAM filters so that the SPAM flag is set and the mail is allowed to pass through.
d) Set up Content Filtering with the Preset Content Filter Rule (Add Preset button) “SPAM Identifier”. This rule will mark SPAM detected mails with <SPAM> in the subject so that they can be more easily identified and moved to the SPAM folder. Bayesian is a learning system so once it is well trained (minimum of 1000 SPAM and 1000 non-SPAM mails) you can set this content filter rule to also place mails in the SPAM account directory but don’t do this until you are happy it is training accurately and you must then check your SPAM folder for false positives (mails wrongly marked as SPAM that aren’t really SPAM) and move them appropriately.
Code Crafters

Return to General