520 recip refused

520 recip refused

Postby allengcs » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:32 am

just upgraded from 2.62 to 2.63 and now I am getting the follow msg when I try to email anyone. This wasn't happening before I upgraded. Anyone know what might be causing this?

---------------------------------------

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: test
Sent: 10/10/2008 12:16 AM

The following recipient(s) cannot be reached:

'xxxxxxxx@hotmail.com' on 10/10/2008 12:16 AM
530 Recipient refused. The sender's domain requires authentication or is not a valid user.

----------------------------------------
allengcs

Re: 520 recip refused

Postby allengcs » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:37 am

i messed with some more settings and now I'm getting the msg saying none of the authentication methods are supported (I believe I was using pop3 login before send) authentication.
allengcs

Re: 520 recip refused

Postby rob » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:38 am

Essentially your first error was in response to a SPAM feature 'check sender domain', which of course can be disabled. However, if you mail client is correctly authenticated, then by default the SPAM filters will be ignored for your account. The new error seems to indicate for some reason your SMTP is no longer accepting authentication. POP Before SMTP although useful, is not a very secure SMTP authentication method (its still far better than nothing of course), so I would recommend using the username/password form of SMTP Authentication if possible. If the problem can't seem to be worked out, then I would recommend exmaining the SMTP logs to try and see what is going on, perhaps even enabling DEBUG logging to gain more information on the transaction between your client and the server.
rob

Return to General