Renewing self-certified SSL certificate

Renewing self-certified SSL certificate

Postby waterman34 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:13 pm

The built-in ssl certificate on our AMS installation has run out, as I personally didn't create it originally I'm not quite sure how to renew it or create a new one, anyone got a some simple instructions>?
waterman34

Re: Renewing self-certified SSL certificate

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:42 am

If you open up your old certificate you can see all the fields entered and replicate these in the newly created SSL certificate.

Please see http://www.code-crafters.com/abilitymai ... ertificate for information on how to create a new certificate. If you are still struggling you can send me your old certificate to chris@code-crafters.com and I'll create a new one with the same fields as your old one and send you this back.
Code Crafters

Postby waterman34 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 11:35 am

So basically all we need to do is create a new certificate in AMS, delete the old one and thats it?

When you say replicate the fields, the only field when creating a new certificate that matches the existing one is the certificate name so what about the other fields such as email address and organization - do these need to be entered 'exactly' the same as it was in the older cert?
waterman34

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:24 am

You need to delete the old SSL certificate and then create a new SSL certificate. You also need to check each service to make sure they are setup correctly to use the new SSL certificate. You can use anything in the fields that's appropriate and these don't have to be anything specific other than the common name which must match the domain used to access the mail server (e.g. mail.yourdomain.com).

The fields in the certificate may appear a bit cryptic to you as "o=organisation" type value pairs in the details of the certificate. As I said you can use anything you want for the fields other than common name but if you send me the old certificate to chris@code-crafters.com I'll detail what each of these actually relates to so you can reuse the information if you want to.
Code Crafters

Return to General