Mailing List unsubscribe link integration

Mailing List unsubscribe link integration

Postby Pugglewuggle » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:42 am

Hi,

We have a form for subscribing/unsubscribing to mailing lists on our website that I'm looking to integrate with AMS' mailing feature.

Basically, at the end of all mass emails, we provide an unsubscribe link. The link looks like http://www.site.com/unsubscribe.asp

What I'd like to do is have AMS automatically insert the recipient's email address into the body of the email so I can make the form work with querystrings straight from AMS.

The end URL would look like http://www.site.com/unsubscribe.asp?email=you@your.com where you@your.com is the email address.

Is this possible with the ####TO#### insertion tag? Does AMS evaluate these tags in emails passing through the system or is there no way to do this aside from writing a custom mail sending script that pulls addresses out of an database? Please note that the email addresses are primarily those of customers and are thus not hosted on this server.

Thanks!
Pugglewuggle

Re: Mailing List unsubscribe link integration

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:10 am

You cannot use filter tags to insert the customer email address for a mailing list as only 1 single mail passes through the filtering systems before being split and sent to all the recipients. We also add an unsubscribe link in our mailing list emails but use the following:

"To be removed from this mailing list, please send an email to updates@code-crafters.com with "remove me" in the subject. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."

The updates@code-crafters.com is actually a link with the following code:

"mailto:updates@code-crafters.com?subject=remove me"

which when clicked on opens the default mail client (e.g. outlook) and fills in the subject and To recipient so that the sender just has to enter their email addrss in the From field and send the email to be removed from the mailing list.

Obviously you need to also set up the auto-remove text to be "remove me" for this to work.
Code Crafters

Postby Pugglewuggle » Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:21 am

Interesting... I was looking for more of a web-based solution as it can send any info required through CDO and can ensure it's formatted correctly. Also, it would give an immediate "hey you're removed now" message and AMS would handle the email confirmation. I guess I'll just have users click on a web link and type in their email address and have the form send the mailing list a remove request and provide the user with a confirmation.

Thanks!

BTW - are there any instances in which AMS will apply inserting tags to emails traversing the system?
Pugglewuggle

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:50 pm

You probably can do a cleverer way with a CDO web form somehow. AMS can already insert filter tags via content filtering. However, because a mailing list To address is the mailing list itself at the time of filtering and not each of many actual recipients this won't satisfy your needs on this occasion.
Code Crafters

Return to General