Struggling with Outgoing Mail

Struggling with Outgoing Mail

Postby johnhair » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:38 pm

Hi
Im using 2.63 on a 2003 server that hosts a number of domains.
Unfortunately Im struggling to get the server to send mail, and Im thinking its to do with the MX entries for the domain Im trying to configure.

Looking at the dns records, I have 1 MX entry for mail.[mydomain] MX priority 30.

Does that look correct?

If I use the Tools option MX Lookup for that domain it says its unable to obtain any MX Records from [not my servers ipaddress].

Any pointers?

Many thanks
John
johnhair

Re: Struggling with Outgoing Mail

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:58 am

This error indicates that the DNS servers speicified in your outgoing mail settings are not correct. You need to set these manually to your ISPs DNS servers if the automatic DNS detection mode doesn't work. You should open a command prompt (Run: cmd) and type "ipconfig/all" to show your ISPs DNS servers and enter these in the outgoing mail settings under the setting Use DNS Host(s) separating each IP address using a semi-colon ( ; ). Use the Test DNS and Test Outgoing Route buttons on the Outoging Mail settings page to test that your outgoing mail settings are working ok.

MX records are for incoming mail not outgoing mail but if you send me your mail server primary domain to chris@code-crafters.com I'll be happy to test these and let you know any problems.
Code Crafters

Postby johnhair » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:54 pm

Thanks, I'll take another look shortly.

In the mean time, I have, erm, forgotten my admin login details. So everytime I run AMS and switch to application it appears in the tray. If I double click it, its asking for the login details.

Anything I can do without having to reinstall? If there was a way to workout what the admin username was, I know what the password would be.

Many thanks
John
johnhair

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:03 am

Yes, open the file "C:\Program Files\Code-Crafters\Ability Mail Server 2\config\mailserver.ini" and you'll be able to see the "adminuser=<user>" option; the password is encrypted for security reasons. You can also disable the admin login completely by changing the first line of the file to "userequiresadminlogin=0". This allows you to get back into the interface and change the admin username / password in the general settings.
Code Crafters

Postby johnhair » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:24 pm

Thanks for that Chris, Im back in now. :)
johnhair

Return to General