Vista 64 and hidden mail server dialog...

Vista 64 and hidden mail server dialog...

Postby cheapohubby » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:24 pm

Hi there; just wondering if there's any known issues with running the mail server with Vista 64bit. I find that it works fine, except that I cannot access the server dialog interface. The only way I can get it visible is to kill the current instance, and restart it manually.
cheapohubby

Re: Vista 64 and hidden mail server dialog...

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:14 am

Ability Mail Server has been tested and should work fine with Windows Vista 64bit. If you are running the mail server in NT service mode the software will load before the login screen in Windows with a standard service login. If you want to get a tray icon you can achieve this by changing the NT service to log in with your user's Windows login credentials. For details on changing the service login please see How can I access shared folders on other computers?

Whether the icon is present or not you should be able to still access the dialog admin interface by using the start menu or desktop shortcut to start the application. The software will detect that it is running in NT service mode and ask if you want to switch back to application mode or use remote admin to access the admin interface. This is an unconventional way of having the main application be both an NT service and an integrated admin interface. We are currently working on Ability Mail Server 3 that will use a true NT service and separate admin interface. The new admin interface will also be able to control remote mail servers meaning that you can install the admin interface on any computer and access the mail server remotely using the main dialog admin interface just like the the web based remote admin currently available.
Code Crafters

Postby cheapohubby » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:34 pm

Hmmm... I'll have to check into changing the service login credentials.

But I definitely don't get the dialog admin by restarting the application. If I do that, it just comes up and says that the software is already running, and exits.
cheapohubby

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:24 am

After talking with a colleage, I've been informed that Vista doesn't show the icon even with different service credentials. However, when the service is running. Starting the application should present you with an option to switch back to application mode or use remote admin. The error saying the application is already running possibly indicates that the software is running in application mode already somehow. You can obviously kill the application using task manager where necessary and can use the remote admin interface if that's easier until you can figure out what's going on. The new Ability Mail Server 3 NT service and separate admin interface will solve this and any other related problems with Vista administration.
Code Crafters

Postby cheapohubby » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:23 am

Well, it's not that big of a deal, so I'll just wait for the next release to come out. Thanks for looking into it, though.
cheapohubby

Return to General