ODBC with MySQL

ODBC with MySQL

Postby ColinABQ » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:26 pm

I am wondering if ams 2.63 ODBC support has been tested with MySQL? Anyone out there using MySQL? I am using the community edition of MySQL server, version 5.0.67.

I ask because I'm seeing the following problem, for which I may have stumbled into a solution.

When I switched to ODBC , created the table, and did the 'file to ODBC' transfer and so on, everything appeared to work. However, I then found that all user accounts were disabled. I could enable them from the admin dialog at the server, but the settings didn't stick -- the accounts were all disabled again when I left that view and then went back to it. The account disabled status was confirmed when no accounts could log in via WebMail, or any other interface. I rebooted as well, to no avail.

I seem to have solved this by shutting down ams and using the MySQL Query Browser to edit the table. I changed the enabled entry data type from BIT(1) to TINYINT(1), restarted ams, and that worked! I can now enable and disable accounts properly via the admin dialog, and the settings survive. I've been wrestling with this for a while and am not sure if my fix would work on a fresh installation. I had also backed up, deleted, and then restored the database and done lots of poking and prodding and troubleshooting. (In fact, initially I could not actually edit the table using the query browser until I backed up, deleted, and restored the database.) I will try this with a fresh installation of ams pretty soon, as I am moving it to a different machine. Regardless, this data type change worked for me, to imply that there is a compatibility issue at work here.

Thought I'd ask if anyone else has had this problem and, if so, what the "real" fix is. If others have had this problem but not found a solution, try the above.
Colin
ColinABQ

Re: ODBC with MySQL

Postby rob » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:16 am

From previous experience the bool field of the database can be the most problematic, and changing the field to something slightly different is perfect acceptable and done by several of our customers. Of course we do test the mail serve with a selection of database formats, but often the problem can lay at the ODBC driver (which acts as a bridge between AMS and database). What I can recommend is that you ensure you have the latest version of the driver to help ensure maximum compatability.
rob

Re: ODBC with MySQL

Postby ColinABQ » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:46 pm

Ah, the ODBC connector! I forgot about that. You are right, those can be problematic -- lots of trouble there before with MySQL version compatibility. I'll check my versions and so on.

Thanks!
ColinABQ

Return to General