Ability Mail - Server Side Sorting -- Roundcube

Ability Mail - Server Side Sorting -- Roundcube

Postby cbernard » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:16 am

Can anyone tell me if the Ability Mail Server supports server side sorting of email?

I recently installed RoundCube webmail client to provide a different interface for some of my users. Overall, the installation works well, but the sort function does not work. Investigating, it appears that the AMS does not reply that it supports server side sorting as a capability. Does anyone know if this is true?

The real problem I have is when I move a mail to another folder, the sort order seems to default to the time the mail was moved to the folder, and not the time the mail was received.
cbernard

Re: Ability Mail - Server Side Sorting -- Roundcube

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:58 pm

As long as you have AMS version 2.50 or later, the WebMail facility does allow sorting of the mails in any folder by any column listed (from, subject, date etc.) by clicking on the column heading. Clicking the same heading again will sort via that column in the opposite order. Within mail clients such as outlook this sorting is up to the client to provide and most should do some sorting functionality.
Code Crafters

Postby Pugglewuggle » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:40 am

If you use IMAP you can do server-side sorting. Outlook is great for this. Just make sure you purge when done sorting.
Pugglewuggle

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:05 pm

With outlook and IMAP any sorting is still client side sorted as there is nothing in IMAP4 to allow sorting on the server as such. Outlook can ask for a specific search but it will usually just get any new headers then simply sort them itself client side. Also, there is an IMAP4 option in Ability Mail Server to auto-purge deleted mails so that you don't have to worry about doing this in your mail client such as Outlook. Auto-purging deleted mails is enabled by default.
Code Crafters

Postby Pugglewuggle » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:22 pm

Oops! I guess what I meant is that mail files and folders are actually manipulated on the server and not locally on the client. Sorting is indeed done on the client via headers.

Sorry about that! Thanks for correcting my error. Now I see what the asker meant.
Pugglewuggle

Return to General