Remote admin, group virtual folder settings

Remote admin, group virtual folder settings

Postby ColinABQ » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:01 pm

I’m a new AFS user (been using AMS for several years, love it), and I hope I can explain this properly – please bear with me. I’m using AFS version 1.18 and have also checked for updates.

I initially did some user, group, and virtual folder setup at the server itself, and all went well, including testing from a LAN workstation via FTP.

The problem is that if I use the remote admin group -> virtual folders -> access rights settings, and the File Modify checkbox, it does not seem to be applied properly. After using it, I get denied when I later connect and log in via FTP as a member of the given group and attempt file operations that require those access rights. Now, I noticed that via the local settings administration at the server itself, there are TWO checkboxes: File Delete and File Append. If I set them both locally, things work again. But then, going back in via remote admin later, the “File Modify” setting is cleared! Of course, if I check (set) it and save the settings, then things are broken again. Basically, the remote admin seems to want to combine delete and append as a single "modify" setting, which does not seem to work. Or am I missing something?

I have not really tried any of this at the user level yet, only at the group level.

Thanks!
Colin
ColinABQ

Re: Remote admin, group virtual folder settings

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:35 am

Version 1.17 split the File Modify into File Write and File Append. However, the remote admin template wasn't correctly updated until 1.18. Your remote admin template needs to be updated. Download the software and install from http://download.code-crafters.com/afs.exe to fix the problem.
Code Crafters

Postby ColinABQ » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:18 pm

Chris, thanks for the rapid response.
I'm a bit confused. I just re-downloaded using the link you provided -- which appears to be to the exact same installer I fetched on October 23rd, when I decided to buy the program. (I renamed the original before downloading; file size is 1,744,648 bytes for both files.) I did NOT do a complete uninstall, I just re-ran the installer. I still have the same issue.

Sure enough, though, poking around in log files shows the program reporting itself as 1.17, not 1.18, as I claimed. I could swear it reported itself as 1.18, somewhere.

I'm out of time right now but can try a complete uninstall and re-install this evening, if you recommend it. Unless there is an issue with the installer, that's all I can think of at this point.

Edit: By the way, I'd be happy to move this to a mail support thread or some such, if you wish. Whatever works for you.
Colin
ColinABQ

Postby ColinABQ » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:30 am

Chris,
I just completely un-installed and re-installed AFS on one system. I used Windows, Control Panel, Add/Remove programs for the initial uninstall. It didn't shut down the service, so I did that manually and then manually deleted the entire C:\Program Files\Code-Crafters\Ability FTP Server directory. (I also ran a light-duty registry cleaner, nothing associated with AFS was found or removed.) I rebooted. I then ran the installer that I downloaded earlier today, from your link.

The installer start-up Window DOES say 1.18, but I still have the same thing -- "File Modify" is still there and so on, per my original post. Note that using the remote admin interface, I see 1.17 footers on both the General and Account log listings pages ... to imply that at least some portions of the installation package remain at 1.17? (Perhaps not the core program components, but at least the admin template.) I've not poked around any further yet, considering this enough, for now.

This is not a huge deal for me right now, knowing the work-around (local admin only, I can use VNC). But I think that your installation package is confused. (I seem to have that effect on pretty much everything and everyone, so don't take this personally : )

Thanks again,
Colin
Colin
ColinABQ

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:42 am

I just tested uninstalling and re-installing this and it works fine. I did confirm via testing and looking at the code that version 1.18 does display 1.17 in some places but the executable version and the main dialog admin interface help button do show that it's version 1.18. Email me at: chris@code-crafters.com and I'll simply send you the remote admin template zipped up to replace your current one and that should solve the problem.
Code Crafters

Return to General