FTP Download Speed

FTP Download Speed

Postby tmcmulli » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:56 pm

I just want to verify that there is nothing else going on to limit the download speed outside of the "limits" area of the FTP server. I'm getting horribly slow downloads, but my server is a blazing Quad processor connected (via Linksys router) to a T1 line. I am using a USB 2 hard drive, but I don't think that would cause me to have 65Kb/s downloads from outside my house...

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!
tmcmulli

Re: FTP Download Speed

Postby rob » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:46 am

65KB/s is indeed very slow if your upload speed is greater than this, and the only thing I can think to check would be to access your router/modem settings and verify that your upload speed is as high as you believe it should. I should note that presently the FTP server can max out at around 500KB/s to 1 MB/s, which is due to the FTP server being optimised for Internet type environments. Of course in the future we will be making changes to remove this limit.
rob

Postby ZEI » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:06 pm

Hi guys, I hate to bump an old thread, but I'm having a bit of a speed issue too. I’m current in the process of switching over several users from IIS/FTP to Ability FTP. After a few tests, we’ve noticed a huge decrease in download speeds.

With IIS/FTP a test file was getting 400KB/s, and the same file using Ability FTP v1.8 is only able to download at about 40KB/s. The test was performed with the same connection, using Filezilla as the client. My latency to the test machine is around 160ms as I’m located in Australia and the server is in the US.

Any suggestions / workarounds???
ZEI

Postby rob » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:36 am

No problem, transfers from the FTP server are reduced as I explained in the previous post, however, a transfer of 30 KB/s is very low compared to what you should get. Of course we do plan to rectify the transfer issue in version 2.xx (currently we have no estimate on the release date). Unfortunatly if this is same reason for your slower transfer speeds, there may not be much that you can do. However, what I would recommend is that you tweak throtteling settings as reduced transfer speeds seem to only affect some users, not all. We suspect the main cause of this is our optimisations for hte internet running into issues on some hardware but by changing some settings (effectively a threat timing issue), you can altar how the FTP server runs with settings and hopefully side step this problem.
rob

Postby ZEI » Sun Oct 26, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi Rob, thanks for getting back to me. Currently we have no transfer limits set on Ability FTP. It’s pretty much the default install plus a few user accounts. Also please note the server is running Windows 2003 and has two NIC cards and has more than 1 IP address bound to the machine.

You mentioned that some settings could be adjusted / altered, but you did not include any suggestion. Is it possible for you to provide me with some suggestions on what to change / try. If you like you can e-mail me directly. Thanks!!! :D
ZEI

Postby rob » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:35 am

Settings you can tweak include adjusting the transfer speeds, account transfer speeds, credits (ensure you give your self a large number of credit to avoid download/uploads being stopped). You can also try switchign the software into normal mode or NT mode.
rob

Return to General