Help! SSL timeouts...

Help! SSL timeouts...

Postby kenneri » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:23 am

Hi.

We're having trouble connecting to our Ability servers from our New Zealand offices. I know this is not an Ability problem (ie. we can connect fine here in Australia), but I need some info to be able to troubleshoot the issue and pinpoint where our connectivity is falling down.

It all stopped working from NZ late last week (was fine previous to that) and our NZ networks guy assures me that nothing has been changed.

I've run a debug trace on one of our SFTP clients in NZ and we are timing out at this point:

Trace: FtpControlSocket.cpp(640): OnReceive(0) OpMode=1 OpState=-8 caller=0x003eca6c
Response: 220 Welcome to Code-Crafters Ability FTP Server.
Command: AUTH SSL
Trace: FtpControlSocket.cpp(640): OnReceive(0) OpMode=1 OpState=-9 caller=0x003eca6c
Response: 234 Starting SSL...
Trace: SSL_connect:before/connect initialization
Trace: SSL_connect:SSLv2/v3 write client hello A
Error: Timeout detected!

We can definitely connect to the server from a networking perspective because we're receiving the "Welcome to Code-Crafters..." message, but we are crashing out after around 30 seconds of waiting for the SSL negotiation to happen. Is there any way you guys know that I could use an openssl sftp command to connect to Ability? I've tried using the regular sftp -oPort=[port] [servername] command and it's not responding.

Any help very much appreciated.
kenneri

Re: Help! SSL timeouts...

Postby rob » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:47 am

Unfortunatly we do not have first hand experience using the "openssl sftp" your refer to, so cannot advise on how best to use the software. However, an option would be to use the implicit SSL port (990) which avoids the need to use AUTH SSL. You could also try using TLS to secure the connection. There is no obvious reason why the SSL connection is failing now but it may be worth while looking to see if there is any filtering software/options that could be causing issues. This includes firewalls, AV scanners and routers.
rob

Return to General