SSL Certs

SSL Certs

Postby malcolmhum » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:23 am

Hi. We have been a client for a number of years, but we are now wanting to get a bit more out of the system.
We have recently purchased a geotrust SSL cert which we will be using to safely transfer data entered into a web app. We are also going to be uploading images to our site and are wanting to do this securely so I have been trying to add our geotrust cert into the ftp server.
However, I don't have a private key and I cannot enter just the cert.

Can you tell me
1) Can I use my Geotrust Cert
2) If not how do I create my own cert
3) How do i create a private Key.

If you have examples of 2 & 3 i would very much appreciate copies.

Thanks

Malcolm Humphreys
malcolmhum

Re: SSL Certs

Postby rob » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:57 am

Unfortunatly to be able to use the geotrust cert, you will need the original private that came with the certificate (the certificate is paired with that specific private key). However, creating your own certificate within the FTP server is a simple task of clicking on the create option within the FTP server settings and simply filling in the form. However, this will generate a self signed certificate and your client will probably warn you of this. To avoid the warning, you should be able to install the key the first time you connect into the client and so ensure the same security with your geotrust certificate. The creation process generates the certificate and private key pair automatically.
rob

Re: SSL Certs

Postby malcolmhum » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:14 am

Thanks Rob, that was very easy... too easy :lol:
malcolmhum

Return to General