FTP wil re-ask for login then lock up

FTP wil re-ask for login then lock up

Postby sillyme » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:34 pm

ftp version is 1.18

when using browser access (tried IE7 and firefox) I will open a file (image or pdf) then hit the back button. After I do this a few times the system will request a login which fails, and the FTP will not let me login. I cannot loginto to this account or any other. Even ftp acess with Filezilla will fail. Error indicates too many failed login attempts. I have checked the igmore login limitations box. Once the timeout period has past I can relogin and it happens again. Does not happen when just downloading files.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Huber
sillyme

Re: FTP wil re-ask for login then lock up

Postby rob » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:37 am

This occurs because by default, IE attempts to login as anonymous into the FTP server, and does this 2 or 3 times. This effectively triggers the antihammering feature very quickly. The solution is to simply disable "Antihammering" on the security tab. Although this will weaken the FTP server against password guessing attacks, generally your FTP Server should remain secure. Another option would be to create an anonymous account to soak these attempts, which has doesn't have write permission and accesses an empty directory.
rob

Return to General