Delays

Delays

Postby m1byo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:49 pm

Hello,

My AMS installation has recently migrated to a commercially hosted VPS rather than using a private server (mainly for data access speeds!)

The way the VPS is configured means that the Anti-Virus is provided on a host level file based anti-virus for all Virtual Machines and so I am unable to install an anti-virus application in the VPS.

Is it possible to include a delay between receiving an email and it being sent out via SMTP etc to allow for the server to scan the outgoing files.

thanks very much

Ian
m1byo

Re: Delays

Postby rob » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:30 am

There isn't a simple way that can achieve this, and the only real place this could be done would be content filtering. This would work by getting a condition to run a command line application, that would simply do nothing but wait for up to 2 minutes. If the application doesn't end and return a value within 2 minutes, content filtering will terminate the command line assuming there is a a problem. The downside of this is that if your incoming mail load is high, it may cause problems as the delay in content filtering could form a bottle neck. It may be possible to perhaps use POP3 retrievals in some way, but I cannot think of a reliable way this could be done.
rob

Postby m1byo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:21 pm

Is there any way I can use the anti-virus plugin to place the file in a folder and check for a deletion without actually running an exe file?

Thanks

Ian
m1byo

Postby m1byo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:30 pm

I have had a thought of using the old MS-DOS Sleep function which will provide the pre-defined delay required for AV processing!

The only thought I have, is when you scan the anti-virus, is the attachment saved to a location on the local hard drive or is it passed through AMS?

thanks

Ian
m1byo

Postby m1byo » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:51 pm

I think I have found the soloution (it tests correctly anyway), for anyone who is also suffering from this!

1. copy the Sleep.exe somewhere (I have put it into the AMS installation directory)
2. Setup the antivirus scanner and set the AV Scanner to sleep.exe with it's parameter set to '1' - this gives a 1 second delay for the AV application on the VPS host to detect the file
3. set the AV to look for file deletion rather than a return value.

I have just configured this and clicked the test button, for which it tested correctly (and quicker than some other AV scanners!)

I hope this helps!

Ian
m1byo

Postby rob » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:20 am

Ah neat little trick, of course perhaps the delay may need tweaking as one second might not be enough sometimes if the servers AV is a little slow, but that seems like a sound idea.
rob

Return to Suggestions