Improved Search-function

Improved Search-function

Postby Technative » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi all,

one suggestion I would like to make is to improve the search-function in the Webmail interface. Now it is only possible to search in the currect folder.

I would like this to be more "Outlook-like", in the way that the search can be performed from the root of the mail-folder on all subfolders. Also, it would be nice to have a bit more flexibility in related messages. One great feature of -once again- Outlook is, that you can click a bar to see all related messages. Would it be possible to incorporate something like that in the new version?

Any news on when it will be coming out? Most posts I found on the subject are quite old and dates mentioned in those posts have already past. Can we expect it any time soon?

Many thanks in advance!
Technative

Re: Improved Search-function

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I have forwarded these to be considered in future updates. We are just about to release Ability FTP Server 2 beta in the next few weeks. This is the prototype for all the new features that will be going into AMS3 since Ability FTP Server 2 is much simpler. There is still a lot of work to do on Ability Mail Server 3 so I can't accurately estimate a release date at this time but I would expect at the earliest end of 2010 but more likely early-mid 2011. This is a major update causing a massive re-write of the software so bare with us.
Code Crafters

Postby Technative » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:08 am

Sounds like you guys are developing a completely new product from the ground up. Good luck in doing that!

I'll just keep using 2.70. It works just fine, and all issues / suggestions that I have are only minor.

Once again: Good luck!
Technative

Postby Code Crafters » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:05 pm

We have now launched Ability FTP Server 2 Beta. We hope to launch Ability Mail Server 3 with the same features added to AFS2 hopefully by the end of 2010 if all goes well. You can download and test Ability FTP Server 2 if you want a preview at what the new Ability Mail Server will look like when launched. You can also check the Ability FTP Server update log to see what major features have been added and will also be added to Ability Mail Server 3.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:31 pm

In the past I, too, have asked for the ability to search multiple folders in 1 go. Let me make the request again in this thread. It's been another 3 years since even this thread was created. Is there any possibility of it ever happening?

I love that AMS can be run without having to have a DBMS in the background, and that the server can easily be moved to another computer, even a desktop system, in relatively short order, and without a lot of installation/configuration required. I have done this a few times when the computer I was running it on had issues or had to be taken down for some other reason. This has kept me using AMS for so many years. But, not being able to search all the folders from the Webmail interface is a huge PITA. I don't care that it will likely take longer for a searh to run; only that it will run.

To me, the ideal way to implement this would be to have a Search Page where all the folders would be listed, with check boxes next to the folder names, and the user could simply check the ones they want to search. Of course, there should be an All Folders checkbox as well :)
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:25 pm

We are hoping to release a possible full re-write of WebMail next year but this isn't definitely confirmed as yet. This will use all the latest .Net technologies and run on IIS although we'll still provide a built in web server of some kind most likely to make installation easier and self-contained. However, I'll ask if such a search feature for multiple pages could be added to the existing WebMail in a future update too.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:54 pm

Thanks very much Chris.

From my end, I'm most interested in the self-contained version of the mail server. I'm not particularly enamoured with the idea of running my email server under IIS. Not that IIS is bad or anything; I just prefer to keep my email server as unencumbered as possible. As I mentioned previously, being able to quickly & easily relocate my email server is, for me, a key feature.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:13 am

If we do a .Net WebMail / admin that runs on IIS we will certainly also provide a web server with the software that can run this with very minimal setup.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:29 pm

I understand. The issue for me is that the host computer would have to run IIS in the 1st place. I would much prefer to be able to copy the entire mail server/post office to any Windows computer and run it from there if needed, even if there is no IIS installed/set up. The portability of AMS is, to me, a fantastic, and almost unique, feature that helped me pick it over its competitors.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:07 pm

Ability Mail Server would still be shipped with an internal mail server capable of hosting the WebMail but this would also work on IIS which most would use.
Code Crafters

Postby mrooks1984 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:09 pm

Hi, just wondering Chris i see you say that there will be a .net web mail as well for iis,
will it be just the (optional) web mail and will this .net framework be a requirement for the mail server ?
i am hoping not, because server essentials 2012 for example doesn't support lower .net versions without breaking the server
so would be a issue on server versions in the future if the email server software isnt updated with the newest .net version every time this happens.
Michael Rooks,
Computer Technician and Website Designer.
http://www.cyberglide.co.uk
mrooks1984

Postby Ikon » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:59 pm

chris wrote:Ability Mail Server would still be shipped with an internal mail server capable of hosting the WebMail but this would also work on IIS which most would use.

Thanks Chris. If AMS retains the built in web server, and can provide multi-page/multi-folder search, my prayers would be answered. :)
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:38 am

It will still do this.
Code Crafters

Return to Suggestions