Some Notes on v4.2.3

Some Notes on v4.2.3

Postby Ikon » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:27 pm

I've been using AMS Pro 4.2.3 for a couple of weeks now, and I've noticed a few things about the webmail client (using FireFox 54.0.1 x32).

1. when reading incoming emails. embedded URL links are not underlined or coloured. The links are clickable, but I can only tell they are links by hovering the mouse cursor over them and seeing the cursor change to a hand symbol.

2. the popup folder list (e.g. when moving emails) is a bit hard to navigate. Ideally, the folder levels would be expandable and collapsible. It would also help if each level was in a different colour, or at least the top level folders were a different colour. And, it would help if the indent of each level was greater.

3. when forwarding or replying to emails, the formatting of the original email is lost, making it pretty difficult for recipients to read the email history. This has been a perennial problem.
Ikon

Re: Some Notes on v4.2.3

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:56 am

Thanks for your suggestions.

1. This is by design and often how most email providers look. You can edit the CSS file if you want to have underlined "a" links.
2. We will revisit this to see if we can improve the visibility for nested mailbox structures.
3. Html editing is notoriously difficult to do. We accept that this could be done better but it's not an easy fix to modify existing HTML emails. We will try to improve this in the future.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Thank you for the reply.

1. I'm curious why you would decide to not have any indication that there's an embedded 'a' URL in an email. Surely people want to know there is/are link(s) in the emails they receive? I could have a look at the CSS file, but my programming skills are related to COBOL, Fortran, PL1, SQL, and others of that era.

2. Just to be clear, I'm talking about the popup window that's displayed when moving email from (e.g.) the Inbox to another folder. I'm not sure if that is what you mean by "nested malbox structures".

3. I didn't realize this is such a complicated issue. I had assumed, apparently incorrectly, that it could be done much as Outlook does it (i.e. seemingly without too much effort). I don't honestly know how Outlook does it, but I had figured it could be done by simply copying the entire HTML structure from the original email and appending it to the Reply or Forward message. Sounds like that's a 'no' :)
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:12 pm

1. I see what you mean now. I was thinking of the Folder page (e.g. Inbox) which has links to emails that aren't underlined which is consistent with Outlook.com, Gmail.com and many others. However, within, the email I can see that you'd expect <a> links to be underlined in some cases. Normally this is controlled by the Html of the email contents itself. I'll add a note to check that we aren't overriding CSS for <a> links within emails with our styling.

2. Yes, I think we're talking about the same thing. The Folder list on the left has collapsible levels for nested folders. The pop-up dialog for moving to another folder (which you are referring to) should also support collapsing as opposed to just being all open as it is now. I'll add a feature request for this too.

3. There is only one Html section in the email. This will contain full Html contents including <html>, <head>, <body> and other nested sections. In order to append to this means placing text at the right point in the middle of this Html with consistent styling too. It is a little complicated but definitely is something we hope to improve in the future.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:16 pm

Just wondering if there is any update on item 1.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:20 pm

It's on our feature request list but nothing changed for this as yet.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 pm

I've noticed a new issue: something that I could do in some previous versions. That is, I don't seem to be able to right-click emails in my Inbox and select to have them open in a new tab or window. I use this feature a fair bit: for example, when I purchase tickets online and want to print out the receipt (with its bar code). I don't want to print out my whole folder structure and other AM info; just the ticket info. As it is, I can't.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:08 am

The emails don't have a right click drop down but we may add one in a future update.

As for printing emails, you should open the email as normal by clicking on it and then select Printable view in the top right to open up the email in a new tab with only the email contents visible on the page for printing.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:35 pm

I did try looking for a "printable" button at the top right, and everywhere else for that matter, but, as per the attached image, my web client doesn't seem to have one. Maybe I'm misremembering, but I keep thinking the button was there in 2.7.2

AMS view email header.JPG
AMS view email header.JPG (71.46 KiB) Viewed 328243 times
Ikon

Postby Ikon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:57 pm

I just ran into a couple of other small issues:

1. I wanted to move a top level folder in my list and make it a subfolder of a different top level but, when I looked for a button to edit the folder list, I couldn't find one. The only button I found, at the bottom of the list, was "New Folder". I generally like the changes to the folder list, such as being able to right-click a folder to rename it, delete it, create a subfolder, etc. These changes are very handy. Not being able to move a folder.... not quite so much 8-)

2. Not having access to a folder list editing option, I decided to create a new subfolder under the destination top level folder, then clicked the source top level folder, selected all the emails, then tried to move them all to the destination subfolder. Oops, the new destination subfolder wasn't in the popup list of folders :( . I tried various ideas, but the only one that worked was to log out and back in. That seemed to refresh the folder list. Oddly, when I created the new subfolder, it did show up in the main folder list: it was only the folder popup list that it was missing from.
Ikon

Postby Ikon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:07 pm

I would also like to humbly suggest that, when the folder list popup is displayed, you automatically make the text box the active object, so people can just immediately start typing the name of the folder they want, without having to manually click the text box first.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:20 pm

In the screenshot you sent, click the Html button to change to Printable view.

1. Good point that you can rename a folder but not move it to a lower level. I can't remember if using dot notation for subfolders works from WebMail but this is definitely something you should be able to do.
2. You're right that when creating a new folder / renaming a folder this change isn't updated in the Move email popup. It is refreshed by changing folders. This is a bug and we'll fix this.
3. We'll look at auto-focusing the folder filter textbox on the popup too.
4. We also may change it so that clicking a folder highlights and shows an OK button rather than applying the move on click. Outlook android app does it this way. Do you think this would be an improvement or worse?
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:53 pm

I would have sworn on my father's grave that I had tried to get a printable view by clicking the HTML button but, I just tried again and the Printable option did show up. I have no explanation as to why I didn't seem to get the option before.

1. excellent. I look forward to an update with 'folder moving'.
2. thank you.
3. again, thank you.
4. I'm not sure I can visualize what you mean by the OK button. Unfortunately, I don't have access to an Android device, although my daughter has an Android phone. I'll check to see if she uses, or is willing to test out. the Outlook app's method for moving folders.

As a former programmer I really appreciate your efforts. I know how annoying and niggling these small program fixes and workarounds can be. Sometimes it seems like they'll never end. Just know that, from a user's perspective, they are truly appreciated
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:19 pm

We've added your requests to our feature list to look at hopefully for the next update.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 pm

I had a look at some Android Outlook videos on Youtube, but I didn't really find any that had an OK button for moving folders, at least not the way I read your question.
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Instead of the folder being the link, clicking a folder highlights it and then pressing OK completes the Move to Folder. We're still undecided if this is better; it's only really useful in case you misclick (especially on a touch device). We may not do this at all yet.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:20 pm

So, if I'm getting it right, the user would click a source folder, then click a destination folder, they would get a prompt asking if they want to move the folder, and they would click OK if they do?
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:00 pm

In a folder view (e.g. Inbox), you click to move one or more emails to another folder. This launches a modal (popup) window with a list of folders on.

Currently, you click a folder in the list and the email(s) are moved.

The alternative is clicking a folder and then an OK button on the modal to confirm.
Code Crafters

Postby Ikon » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:27 pm

OK, got it. Yeah, I agree with you in that an OK button is probably not needed. I just click the folder I want and move the email(s). Not having to click OK is faster and simpler. Have I ever clicked the wrong folder by mistake? Sure, a few times, but I realized I'd done it right away and went to the 'wrong' folder and moved the email to the intended one.

I think having the folder modal window text box be auto-focused is way more important. It is much faster to find the intended destination folder by typing a few letters (most times I find 3 is enough) and having the list of folders narrowed down to 1 or 2 (sometimes 3), then click the one I want. This also makes the OK button much less needed, because it narrows down the list so much it becomes pretty difficult to click a wrong folder.

Anyway, that my 2 cents :)
Ikon

Postby Code Crafters » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:06 pm

Yes, the filter certainly will help and we agree that the ok button isn't needed. Thanks for your feedback.
Code Crafters

Next

Return to Suggestions