AMS Account "Soft Off" feature

AMS Account "Soft Off" feature

Postby Pugglewuggle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:42 am

I was just thinking of a way to temporarily disable all login/download access to an account for a particular user, but still allow incoming mail.

This would be great for a billed email service so the user loses no mails but can't check it - by webmail, IMAP, POP, or anything - while the account is "frozen".

You might call the state "frozen", as opposed to there just being an "enabled" or "disabled" state.

Just my two cents. I think it would be a great feature that would be really easy to implement. It would give AMS superior administrative control. This might also be good for "relay only" accounts that are used as form mailers for websites and web apps, etc.
Pugglewuggle

Re: AMS Account "Soft Off" feature

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:27 am

I will forward your suggestion to the team. However, currently you can only disable an entire account or an entire service.

We run a backup mail service so that if our SMTP is offline, mails are caught by our backup mail server and never lost. We sometimes disable SMTP but leave all mail access services open. For example, if the mail server is hit by a large SPAM attack we can disable the effect on the primary mail server while still allowing users to access their mail with no mail lost either.
Code Crafters

Postby Pugglewuggle » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:47 pm

We actually run an offsite backup MX as well in case the the network here goes down for any reason. I was simply suggesting a feature that allows temporarily disabling user accounts as described (for billing purposes).

Thank you as always! I appreciate it!
Pugglewuggle

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:31 am

A way to achieve what you are asking would be to create another limited access group called Frozen where you can choose what services and access rights (relaying etc.) users have. You could move users to the Frozen group when you want to limit their access and move them back when you want to restore their access rather than fully disabling the account. This is an ideal solution as it lets you control what limits "freezing" an account actually causes.
Code Crafters

Return to Suggestions