Backup Storage Limitations - Version 3 I assume!!

Backup Storage Limitations - Version 3 I assume!!

Postby m1byo » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:45 pm

Hello,

I am now hosting a backup/anti-spam mail service for one of my customers and I would like to be able to put a finite limit to the amount of backup space the domain would have available. e.g. 1Gb.

This would ensure I could offer a service which will not affect the other users on the system and it gives me a finite amount of space I need to put aside for each backup service I sell.

Would this be possible on Version 3? or will it be a little way down the line?

Thanks

Ian
m1byo

Re: Backup Storage Limitations - Version 3 I assume!!

Postby rob » Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:07 am

Presently this of course isn't available in AMS2.xx but version 3 does not also have any plans for this. Essentially a backup server only consumes space (assuming its an SMTP only backup) for the mails stored in the outgoing mail queue. In a later release after version 3, we are looking at reworking the SMTP system completely, to add support ETRN and such, this will allow is to also tweak the outgoing mail queue to include priority systems and greater efficiency. If you could provide a small description of how you would expect this feature to work I will add this to the design notes and hopefully it can get included in the update.
rob

Postby m1byo » Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:15 am

Thank you for the information, You are correct I was thinking of an SMTP only backup

I was imagining that the system would work so that during the setup or configuration of the backup domain you would be able to include a maximum storage amount in the outgoing mail queue for the specific domain.

This could potentially be a configuration in the static route rather than in the domain settings itself (e.g. maximum no. MB queued for this static route).

If this quota was ever met, I assumed it would go through a process similar to the 'mailbox full', this could be as simple as delete the email and reply to the sender saying it was not delivered due to the mailbox being full.

Thanks again!

Ian
m1byo

Postby rob » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:33 am

Thanks, thats on the lines of what I was thinking also from what you had said. Of course if we did implement this, we would also setup a number of mails limit as well as probably a restriction on the number of mails per day/MB per day a static route would permit. However, I have noted this down and put this in the design notes.
rob

Postby m1byo » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:46 am

That all sounds brilliant and would add to an already brilliant product

Thanks very much
m1byo

Return to Suggestions