Group Policy Should Include ALL User Settings

Group Policy Should Include ALL User Settings

Postby Pugglewuggle » Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:14 pm

Another suggestion for AMS:

The Group settings should have the ability to serve as a master control panel for global mass change-of-settings and easier management.

Let me explain: The current AMS release requires an admin to go to each individual user in a group to change small but important settings. This can be VERY time consuming even if there are only 20 or 30 users.

What I propose is that AMS has the ability to make global changes to a group that will override per-user settings (this should be an option, maybe a checkbox next to each globally-configurable setting) such as spam folders, where to send spam if marked as spam, even little stuff like compose in HTML by default.

A good example of this would be how Group Policy works in a Windows Active Directory Domain -- settings can be applied to a group or domain globally and can also be customized on a per-user level if required.

Doing this would make AMS a much more powerful server. I think that this, coupled with my ODBC suggestion, could catapult AMS over the top!

Please consider my suggestion; I am a programmer and web designer myself and can see the advantages to this for everyone!

Thanks,
JB
Pugglewuggle

Re: Group Policy Should Include ALL User Settings

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:36 am

This suggestion, like your ODBC suggestion, was also intended for Ability Mail Server 3 and will be released but will come after Ability Mail Server 3's initial release. Possibly also in Ability Mail Server 4 which will bring many new major features like this.
Code Crafters

Postby Pugglewuggle » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:31 pm

That's good to know. I'm sure you've answered this 100 times, but if I recall, you or Rob had said that AMS 3 would be available before the end of the year. Can you confirm this?

Also, I know it's WAY to far out for you to give even a general timeline on AMS 4, but are we looking at 2008 or 2009?
Pugglewuggle

Postby Code Crafters » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:13 am

Ability Mail Server 3 will be launched next year now. We are currently working on Ability Mail Server 2 and Ability Mail Server 3. Following that, current plans are to launch Ability FTP Server 2 and a new FTP client, hopefully by the end of 2008. Ability Mail Server 4 should then follow in 2009. Of course, these are all estimates and not guaranteed to occur at these times or even in the order specified. All I can guarantee is that Ability Mail Server 2 and 3 will be the next projects to be finished.
Code Crafters

Return to Suggestions