Allowing local address from outside to be received.

Allowing local address from outside to be received.

Postby nuclearsiloman » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:36 pm

I use freshbooks.com to invoice my clients. My clients email are hosted in AMS as well as my email. When I configure freshbooks to make the "FROM" in the invoice email my email address, none of my clients receive it because AMS I guess won't relay it because my email address is a local address but the mail is coming from the outside.

This doesn't make sense to me becuase (and I've read other people have this problem on this forum) I get spam from Russia where the FROM is my email address.

Simply put, I'd like AMS to receive email from freshbooks when the FROM is my email address. I thought of allowing relay if coming from freshbooks, but they use various smtp servers of different domains and I couldn't seem to make it work.

Any suggestions appreciated.
nuclearsiloman

Re: Allowing local address from outside to be received.

Postby rob » Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:26 am

This problem sounds like a SPAM filtering issue. Basically as long as the email is addresses to a valid local recipient, mails should be accepted regardless of the from address. However, with SPAM filtering, several filters potentially could trigger with these types of mail. The easiest way is to check the SMTP logs and see how the mail is being rejected. Most likely it is either the SPF filter or "Use Sender Domain Check" filters. These can of course be disabled but the easiest fix would be to use the white list feature to ensure mails from freshbooks.com are not filtered as SPAM.
rob

Return to General