Can You Restrict Outgoing Email?

Can You Restrict Outgoing Email?

Postby jbubel » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:45 pm

This may be a loaded question, but, I was wondering if you are able to restrict certain users from sending outgoing emails to the internet?

Right now I have the AMS set up and handling our email internally for our organization. We are forced to use a browser based Web Mail to send and receive outside email. Our users are configured with MS Outlook & Express for the internal receiving of email.

Is there a way to permit only certain users that if they have the access to send email from the client to other internet email addresses and for those that we don't want that priviledge given to them, that the email stops? I want to keep our internal email internal, but be able to have users with a rights to send and receive to the outside world.

Thanks,

JD
jbubel

Re: Can You Restrict Outgoing Email?

Postby m1byo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:00 am

If you are doing it with outlook then I would recomend turning on SMTP authentication for relay access rather than using safe IPs, then each user will have to provide a username and password to send emails through the SMTP server (Note, internal emails will always be accepted because it is the mailserver for that domain and therfore not relaying!)

You can then configure to allow external emails in the group settings, and then you would just need to make sure each user is in the correct group for sending emails in or out.

I hope this helps.

Ian
m1byo

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:10 am

Yes, m1byo is right. External realying access permissions are in the user's group settings. SMTP authentication will need to be configured for users that are allowed relaying via outlook's account settings More Settings button then Outgoing Server tab.
Code Crafters

Postby jbubel » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:59 pm

Thanks for the replies, now I just have to look and see what I need to do now.

I will be back with more questions on this I'm sure.

This stuff is new to me, and the only way to learn is to do it.

I'll keep you posted and thanks for your replies!

JD
jbubel

Return to General