v3 all settings in database?

v3 all settings in database?

Postby sterling » Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:40 pm

Will version 3 of AMS allow for all of the settings for both system and domain/user to be stored into a database?
sterling

Re: v3 all settings in database?

Postby Code Crafters » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:53 pm

A major upgrade is planned to put much more information in the ODBC database but that update is a massive one and won't be included with version 3. Most likely vesrion 3 will still hold pretty much the same information that is currently held in the database by version 2.
Code Crafters

Postby sterling » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:50 am

What about some type of api that can be called to perform tasks on the mail server rather than trying to edit the text ini files. I am looking to automate my systems but do not want to waste a lot of time trying to modify the ini files if there will be an easier way to do this soon.
sterling

Postby Code Crafters » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:56 am

Version 3 will be using separate applications for the mail server and dialog admin interface which will become remotely installable. There will also be a command line interface that this remote dialog admin interface will use which will also allow you to use a command line interface or script to control any settings as well as run tools such as backups and start / stop the mail server or any services etc. There will also be a service watchdog to restart the mail server if it ever stops running for any reason ensuring your mail server is always online.
Code Crafters

Postby Pugglewuggle » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:45 am

Very, very, nice. ;) While a DB is preferable, this is useful too.

Is this command line utility going to be callable from web scripts as a server side executable or is it a module of AMS? From what I understand it is a separate executable, but I just want to clarify.
Pugglewuggle

Postby Code Crafters » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:30 am

The command line admin interface will function via Windows sockets using text like other mail protocols (e.g. IMAP4, POP3) meaning that you can telnet the interface or use a web script to control functions on it. This is also how the dialog admin interface will talk to the mail server locally and remotely.
Code Crafters

Return to General