Windows Shutdown/Logoff Prevented by AMS

Windows Shutdown/Logoff Prevented by AMS

Postby m1byo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:04 am

Hello,

When I connect to my servers using remote desktop, If I connect using the -console or /admin switch (dependent on which computer I connect from), I have had problems logging off the account at the end of the session, the start-logoff function does not work, however using Task-Manager and forcing the user logoff always works. This problem does not occur if I do not use the -console or /admin switch and so AMS is not interfacing with the user session.

I have also been having problems rebooting my servers, in particular a VPS which is running AMS, If I turn off AMS before telling the server to reboot, it will do the reboot cycle in about 2 1/2 mins, however if I do not exit AMS before rebooting the server, the server gets stuck in the shutting down mode and I am unable to do anything about it, the only solution has been to reboot the entire VPS node which can take 2-3 hours to complete.

As I have "Login Required to Access Dialog Interface" enabled, and so when I Right Click on the AMS icon and click exit, it requires me to enter the username and password before the application will exit, and once I have stopped AMS none of these problems occur I can only think that the problem is something to do with my configuration of AMS.

Would AMS still be waiting for a username and password during the reboot/shutdown/logoff procedures? Is there anything that can be done to stop this happening in the future?

Thanks very much

Ian
m1byo

Re: Windows Shutdown/Logoff Prevented by AMS

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:17 pm

In AMS3 we are properly separating the application from the admin interface and even making the full dialog admin interface remote installable so you can use it from another computer completely to control any Ability Mail Server (or several of course). This will solve this issue automatically as the application running on the mail server computer will just be a basic service with no joined on admin interface. In version 3 there will also be a command line scanner (used by the remote admin interface) which will allow you to run a script to shut down parts of the mail server etc.

I will make a note for this to be looked into as shutting down the computer shouldn't require logging into AMS really. For now, I can only suggest that you disable the login requirement for the admin interface.
Code Crafters

Postby nicholasn2 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:09 pm

I had the same problem on the server that runs AMS. To log off, simply create a batch file called logoff.bat with the following command inside:

shutdown.exe /l /f

This will ensure that you log off each and every time. The /l parameter is the logoff and the /f parameter will ignore any process tied to explorer.exe and force a log off no matter what. It does not affect AMS for running properly.

Hope it helps,

Regards,

Nicholas
nicholasn2

Postby m1byo » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:20 pm

Hello Nicholas,

Thank you for the comments, logging off is not too much of an issue as I use the task manager, and Right Click logoff and it kicks it out in a similar fasion.

The issue arose as my main server is a VPS which means I do not have access to a reset button if the unit fails to shutdown properly. It requires the reboot of the entire VPS node which therefore affects many users.
m1byo

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:53 am

It sounds like it is the admin interface login requirement that's causing the delay as this will ask for permission to shutdown the application but should ignore asking if shutdown by windows directly or if running as a service. I assumed Windows would only wait around 30 seconds maximum before forcing shutdown on all processes running.

Try turning of the admin login and see if the problem is resolved to confirm this is the problem. Please also let me know what version of WIndows you are using so we can test this further and try to improve how this works in a future update.
Code Crafters

Return to General