Not receiving mail or mail delivery taking many hours.

Not receiving mail or mail delivery taking many hours.

Postby cg6801 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:14 am

I am having a problem with mail receipt. I started getting reports of mail not getting to all recipients or it taking several hours. When I do a DNSreport at dnsstuff.com I get "FAIL" on "connect to mail servers". All my Domains passed this test in the past. After trying many things I discovered that if I take all settings off of the SMTP: Relaying Access tab, it will get a connect on the report. All items pass except the open relay test fails. So I either get an open relay or no connect at all. I had made no changes prior to this starting. I have since tried 2 different routers, turned off the Windows 2003 Server firewall, removed the Symantec AV that was loaded on the server with no change. I also upgraded from AMS 2.62 to 2.63 which did not help. Anybody got any ideas?
cg6801

Re: Not receiving mail or mail delivery taking many hours.

Postby Code Crafters » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:30 am

You must enable SMTP authenticationon the relaying tab otherwise you will be an open relay and you will get loads of SPAM flowing from your mail server and end up with your IP blocked on RBL black lists. I imagine the failure error is just something like a temporary grey list rejection or other SPAM filter which is triggering for a valid reason. If you send me the DNS site test results to chris@code-crafters.com I'll have a look at the errors and try to explain what they mean and what can be done about them. If you also include your domains I'll run security checks on them for you.
Code Crafters

Return to General